[yocto] are separate -sdk image targets necessary Was: Build external module against Yocto kernel

Trevor Woerner twoerner at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 08:51:15 PST 2013

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 2:16 PM, Zhang, Jessica <jessica.zhang at intel.com> wrote:
> According to bug 1614, the kernel dev packages should be
> included in sdk images. Please generate your toolchain using
> "bitbake core-image-sato-sdk -c populate_sdk" which will
> make the toolchain target sysroot matching your image's
> sysroot (this is a new feature of 1.3) as long as your image
> is a sdk image.

I am a bit confused by the above email. To me it appears as if Jessica
is saying: "add '-c populate_sdk' to the build of an -sdk image".

But if we look at this email from Mark Hatle:
http://www.mail-archive.com/yocto@yoctoproject.org/msg10636.html

I get the impression that Mark is saying: "now that '-c populate_sdk'
is available, there no longer is any need for separate -sdk images".

Am I confusing two different things with each other?