[yocto] SRC_URI checksums

Jerrod Peach peachj at lexmark.com
Wed Jan 23 08:46:07 PST 2013

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 11:11 AM, Darren Hart <dvhart at linux.intel.com>wrote:

> What is the practice for SRC_URI checksums? I see many recipes with both
> md5sum and sha256sum. Is there a need to have both? Is one preferred
> over the other?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Darren Hart
> Intel Open Source Technology Center
> Yocto Project - Technical Lead - Linux Kernel

I believe bitbake/Yocto will complain at you if you don't have both, but
I've always wondered this myself.  Since it's just an integrity check, I'd
think an md5sum would be sufficient and marginally faster than a sha256,
but if you wanted to be ultra paranoid, a sha256 would probably be good
enough.  The level of paranoia it would take to want to make both checks is
beyond what just about anyone would want, I'd suspect.  I'll append to the
original e-mailer's question: Should the default be to require both checks?
 Is there a simple way to turn off complaining about one check or the other
if you're not interested in running both?  Are both even run?  (I think
they both are...)

Kind regards,

Jerrod