[yocto] FW: YP Linux Kernel Development Manual

Christian Ege christian.ege at familie-ege.net
Tue Jan 22 00:59:23 PST 2013

 Hi,
 I am not sure if this is the problem you are struggling with.
 I am wondering why class module.bbclass behaves completely different
 than kernel.bbclacc

>  hi, I follow the kernel development manual "2.5. Incorporating
> Out-of-Tree Modules",
>  copy the "hello-mod_0.1.bb" and "files" folder into my taget layer
> "meta-intel/meta-jasperforest/recipe-kernel", then add
> "MACHINE_EXTRA_
> RDEPENDS += "kernel-module-hello" in the conf/local.conf
>  after build and boot, there's no "hello.ko" found in the binary
> image
>  also there's no hello.ko in the "tmp/work/..." folder

 If you hello-mod_0.1.bb inherits module class there is no mechanism
 to create the kernel-module package. This only applies to the
 kernel.bbclass

 http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky/tree/meta/classes/module.bbclass
 http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky/tree/meta/classes/module-base.bbclass

 Have a look at kernel.bbclass instead shows some pathon code which
 handles the module package creation:
 http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky/tree/meta/classes/kernel.bbclass#n301

 I've fixed this in my layer by stealing the code from kernel.bbclass
 https://github.com/project-magpie/meta-stlinux/blob/master/recipes-bsp/tdt-driver/tdt-driver.inc

 With this you can also use the following extends with your module:
 module_autoload_aotom = "aotom"
 and
 module_conf_stmfb = "options stmfb
 display0=1280x720-32 at 50:8m:pal:yuv:yuv"

 If you are only inherting from module this have not worked for me.

 The next part I had to fight against was the fact that in
 core-image-minimal the package managment information are stripped and
 thus no pre hooks are executet. So the module is installed in the image
 but not loaded on boot-up unless you call update-modules by hand.

 ROOTFS_POSTPROCESS_COMMAND += "remove_packaging_data_files ; "

 To prevent this I've defined an image without the stripping:
 https://github.com/project-magpie/meta-stlinux/blob/master/recipes-core/images/core-image-base.bb

 I hope this clarify things a little bit

 regards,
 Christian