[yocto] Bitbake and task offloading onto multiple cloud-based servers

Tom Zanussi tom.zanussi at intel.com
Wed Jan 9 07:43:25 PST 2013

On Wed, 2013-01-09 at 11:58 +0000, Alex J Lennon wrote:
> > In the 1.1 timeframe I proposed something similar for a demo/research
> > project - I'll just copy the proposal verbatim below in case any of the
> > ideas could be of any value.
>
> Very interesting Tom. Thanks for your thoughts.
>

> > if throwing a
> > 40-processor system at a build doesn't really help much it's not likely
> > to be of much help either to distribute the individual pieces out to the
> > 'cloud'.
>
> Are there any figures for build time versus increase in processor cores?
> It would be interesting to see what the immediate performance gain is
> for a build with a low number of additional cores and then where it tops
> out?

These threads have some hard data:

https://lists.yoctoproject.org/pipermail/poky/2011-July/006802.html
https://lists.yoctoproject.org/pipermail/yocto/2012-April/008293.html

Some of which is summarized here:

https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Build_Performance

Other people may have pointers to more data or summaries..

Tom