[yocto] Bitbake and task offloading onto multiple cloud-based servers

Alex J Lennon ajlennon at dynamicdevices.co.uk
Wed Jan 9 03:58:37 PST 2013

> In the 1.1 timeframe I proposed something similar for a demo/research
> project - I'll just copy the proposal verbatim below in case any of the
> ideas could be of any value.

Very interesting Tom. Thanks for your thoughts.

> if throwing a
> 40-processor system at a build doesn't really help much it's not likely
> to be of much help either to distribute the individual pieces out to the
> 'cloud'.

Are there any figures for build time versus increase in processor cores?
It would be interesting to see what the immediate performance gain is
for a build with a low number of additional cores and then where it tops
out?

> The whole
> process is completely peer-to-peer with no single node in charge - in
> that context, a more appropriate name for it might be 'BuildTorrent'.

A "BuildTorrent". I like it!

Cheers,

Alex