[yocto] Newbie trying to get started

Rudolf Streif rstreif at linuxfoundation.org
Thu Feb 28 16:28:45 PST 2013

Hi Paul,

It does not matter where you unpack the meta-intel tarball to. All that
matters is that you include it in the bblayers.conf file of your build
environment.

Yes, you are right that you want to create a new build environment for your
new Atom project. Do so with

cd yocto
source poky/oe-init-build-env buildatom

This will create a new build environment for you and change directory to
buildatom. Then edit con/bblayers.conf to include the BSP layer. The
meta-intel is a container layer that contains multiple BSPs you will have
to add the meta-intel as well as the layer for the BSP that you want to use
in the BBLAYERS variable e.g.

BBLAYERS ?= " \
  <path to yocto>/poky/meta \
  <path to yocto>/poky/meta-yocto \
  <path to yocto>/meta-intel \
  <path to yocto>/meta-intel/meta-<bsp> "

Then you need to set the MACHINE variable in conf/local.conf to a machine
defined by the the BSP.

That should do the trick.

And I now see that Sean has beat me to it. Now you have it twice.

Cheers,
Rudi

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 3:54 PM, Paul D. DeRocco <pderocco at ix.netcom.com>wrote:

> I've been working with a Gumstix, and have successfully built both the
> console and GUI version of their distro. So now I have two directories,
> yocto/poky containing everything that was downloaded, and yocto/build
> containing the stuff that was built. So far, so good.
>
> Now, I need to do a completely unrelated project, based on an Intel Atom.
> I've downloaded the BSP (the N2600/N2800/D2550), and the directions told me
> to unpack it so that it's all contained in yocto/meta-intel. Does this mean
> that this BSP isn't related to Poky? My yocto/poky directory is full of
> other meta-blahblah stuff, so I would think that meta-intel would go in
> there, one level down.
>
> Then, the directions say to edit bblayers.conf, and possibly local.conf.
> The
> only place I find these files are in my yocto/build/conf directory, but I
> would think that doing a build for a different machine would involve
> setting
> up a different build directory, e.g., yocto/buildatom. Is that correct? But
> isn't the build directory set up by running the oe-init-build-env script,
> which comes afterwards in the instructions?
>
> Also, those instructions imply that I should run that script in the
> yocto/poky directory, since that's where the script is located, but the
> meta-intel is "upstairs" from that, which seems odd.
>
> I'm confused by all this, but more to the point, I'm afraid of doing the
> wrong thing, and clobbering the Gumstix stuff, which took a day and a half
> to build. I expect the Atom build will also take a long time, but I don't
> want to have to do it two more times.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> --
>
> Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco
> Paul                mailto:pderocco at ix.netcom.com

*Rudolf J. Streif*
Director of Embedded Solutions
The Linux Foundation

rudolf.streif at linux.com
Phone: +1.619.631.5383
Skype: rudolfstreif
PGP: RSA 2048/2048 D6E7D28B

Linux Foundation Events Schedule:  events.linuxfoundation.org