[yocto] Newbie trying to get started

Sean Liming sean.liming at annabooks.com
Thu Feb 28 16:21:15 PST 2013

The
> only place I find these files are in my yocto/build/conf directory, but I
would
> think that doing a build for a different machine would involve setting up
> different build directory, e.g., yocto/buildatom. Is that correct? But
isn't the
> build directory set up by running the oe-init-build-env script, which
comes
> afterwards in the instructions?
>
> Also, those instructions imply that I should run that script in the
yocto/poky
> directory, since that's where the script is located, but the meta-intel is
> "upstairs" from that, which seems odd.
>
> I'm confused by all this, but more to the point, I'm afraid of doing the
wrong
> thing, and clobbering the Gumstix stuff, which took a day and a half to
build. I
> expect the Atom build will also take a long time, but I don't want to have
> do it two more times.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> --
>
> Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco
> Paul                mailto:pderocco at ix.netcom.com

I have been working with the Intel Atom and Yocto Project -
http://www.annabooks.com/Book_OSSATOM.html

1. Make sure you have first downloaded and extracted Poky. I extract Danny
as - Yocto 1.3/poky-danny-8.0
2. Download the BSP separately and unpack the contents to a temp folder.
There should be a meta-Intel directory.
3. Copy this meta-Intel folder to the Yocto 1.3/poky-danny-8.0 folder. Go
ahead and over write the directory that is there.

Yes, create a new project and build directory. you need to modify the
bblayers.conf file to point to the BSP files:

BBFILES ?= ""
BBLAYERS ?= " \
  /home/user/Yocto1.3/poky-danny-8.0/meta \
  /home/user/Yocto1.3/poky-danny-8.0/meta-yocto \
  /home/user/Yocto1.3/poky-danny-8.0/meta-intel \
  /home/user/Yocto1.3/poky-danny-8.0/meta-intel/meta-cedartrail \

Regards,

Sean Liming
Owner
Annabooks