[yocto] Setting PV dynamically in a recipe

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Tue Dec 17 12:24:38 PST 2013

Hi Brad,

On Tuesday 17 December 2013 19:46:11 Brad Litterell wrote:
> Thank you for the reply.  However, That's not what I'm looking for.  I
> already get the latest version of the source code.
>
> What I'm really after is the ability to generate output packages that have
> increasing version numbers so I can use the package manager to update them.
>
> I think Martin's subsequent reply is the secret to use PKGV.  I didn't know
> about that variable.

You don't need to use any special classes to get this behaviour. Put this in
your recipe (replacing 1.2.3 with the appropriate base version you are
building):

PV = "1.2.3+git${SRCPV}"

and enable the PR service, which will ensure SRCREV changes always increment
the version properly:

http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/dev-manual/dev-manual.html#working-with-a-pr-service

Cheers,
Paul