[yocto] Yocto .gitignore

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Mon Dec 2 04:11:31 PST 2013

On Monday 02 December 2013 13:02:21 Søren Holm wrote:
> Mandag den 2. december 2013 11:57:35 skrev Paul Eggleton:
> > I presume you mean the .gitignore in the poky repository. Any additional
> > custom layers shouldn't be part of the poky repository, they should be in
> > separate repositories.
>
> That's right. But how would you put "build/*" and my own "meta-*" in a
> seperate repo. Pulling them in as submodules seems painfull and having the
> yocto-repo included as a submodule in another repo seems backwards too.
>
> Do you have a proposed "best-practice"-way of maintaining own layers?

There are a number of different options:

* submodules
* repo [1]
* combo-layer [2] (what we use for Poky)
* or, just keep the repositories separate

Re build/, you shouldn't need to keep that under version control. If you are
setting a large number of variables in local.conf that you want to preserve,
that is a sign that you should move these to a custom distro configuration file
[3].

Cheers,
Paul

[1] http://code.google.com/p/git-repo/