[yocto] Embedded Linux with Xenomai support

Darren Hart dvhart at linux.intel.com
Fri Aug 30 09:56:05 PDT 2013

Hi Asier,

On Fri, 2013-08-30 at 12:34 +0200, Asier wrote:
> Hello all,
>

> I've just started studying the Yocto project, so I beg your pardon if
> this question has been already solved or it's just too easy (RT*M).
>

> I've got a working embedded system running Xenomai v2.5.5. The user
> interface has been developed with Qt Embedded. The kernel has been
> compiled using the ELinOS Embedded Linux distribution.
>
> Now, I want to change that interface to X11 so that I can use a
> desktop manager as well as some other X11 applications. The ELinOS
> distribution has an XServer, but it lacks a way of easily adding any
> desktop manager. Thus, I’m thinking about using another Linux
> distribution.
>

> That is how I have found the Yocto project. I think this can be the
> best solution for my new system.
>

> Is there any Linux distribution based on the Yocto project that lets
> me configure my embedded kernel with Xenomai? If not, has anybody got
> any experinece in adding Xenomai to the Yocto project?

I am not aware of anyone using Xenomai with Yocto to date (although that
doesn't mean nobody is). Our Real-Time focus has been on the PREEMPT_RT
Linux kernel, which we do have recipes for.

It appears as though Xenomai has changed quite a bit over the years. If
my quick re-reading of their material is correct, the Xenomai core is
implemented as a Linux kernel module which can built in to a standard
Linux kernel?

If that is the case, consider having a look at the hello-mod example for
a recipe building an out of tree kernel module. Then have a look at the
Yocto project Linux kernel development manual:

http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/1.4/kernel-dev/kernel-dev.html

Out of curiosity, what sort of real-time requirements do you have?

--
Darren Hart
Intel Open Source Technology Center