[yocto] do_clean failure on NFS drive

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Wed Apr 24 03:12:33 PDT 2013

On Tuesday 23 April 2013 06:10:05 Michael Fainstein wrote:
> Recently I moved my working environment from local drive to NFS and since
> then do_clean task is failing all the time with error: ERROR: Error
> executing a python function in ......:
> OSError: [Errno 39] Directory not empty: '....../temp'
>
> However, when I look at temp directory it is empty!
>
> I put the following watcher on this directory:
> SNAP0="xx";while [ 1 ]; do SNAP=`ls -a
> tmp/work/ppce500v2-fsl-linux-gnuspe/elfutils-0.125-r4/temp/`;if [
> x"${SNAP}" != x"${SNAP0}" ];then echo "`date`";echo
> "${SNAP}";fi;SNAP0="${SNAP}";done
>
> And got the following:
> Tue Apr 23 08:28:38 IDT 2013
> ./
> ../
> Tue Apr 23 08:28:51 IDT 2013
> ./
> ../
> log.do_clean@
> log.do_clean.572
> Tue Apr 23 08:28:51 IDT 2013
> ./
> ../
> log.do_clean.572
> run.do_clean.572
> Tue Apr 23 08:28:51 IDT 2013
> ./
> ../
> .nfs000000000210f27700000eb6
> Tue Apr 23 08:28:51 IDT 2013
> ./
> ../
>

> It looks like do_clean have a log file open when it tries to remove temp
> directory. It doesn't interfere with removing directory on local drive,
> however on NFS it does. If you remove open file on NFS, the file stays in
> the directory with .nfsXXXXXX name till it is closed and only then it is
> removed (i.e. when do_clean exits). This file triggers the exception
> "Directory not empty". Any suggestions how to solve this? Is this solved in
> latest version? I am using Freescale's SDK 1.3
> QorIQ-SDK-V1.3-20121114-yocto that is based on Yocto version 1.2.1

I have to say I don't think we support having TMPDIR on NFS, particularly
because of cases like this where NFS does not behave in the same way as a
standard filesystem. Aside from our own code, we'd have to take care of any
subtle issues in the build systems of every piece of upstream software being
built, and that's a bit too much to support.

However, if you or someone else can figure out how to fix this specific problem
in a reasonable manner and send a patch, it would probably be accepted; but
AFAIK we still recommend not using NFS for this.

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton