[yocto] Splashscreen using psplash

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Tue Apr 23 05:08:46 PDT 2013

On 2013-04-23 06:03, Andreas Enbacka wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am creating a custom image based on core-image-sato, with a custom splash screen (using psplash). I have been able to replace the default yocto splashscreen in my image,
>   however, my question is whether it is possible to hide the initial console output text displayed on the screen prior to showing the splashscreen?  Currently most of the boot
> process is completed at the stage when the splash screen is being displayed on screen. This is because the image should be used as part of an embedded device, and the end-user
> should not see any traces of the underlying linux distro.
>
> Any info would be greatly appreciated.

You could disable the [framebuffer] console directly in the
kernel (CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE).  With this disabled, Linux
will leave whatever was in the framebuffer (possibly a splash
put there by your bootstrap).

I've done this where U-Boot put up a splash image that was the
same as the psplash one so there was no change on the screen
during the boot process until it was completely running.