[yocto] runqemu: Could not initialize SDL(No available video device) - exiting

Rudolf Streif rstreif at linuxfoundation.org
Wed Apr 17 21:50:02 PDT 2013

> I would have assumed that if something was missing from my host, then
> I would not have been able to run the virtual machine using the
> qemu-system-i386 that I had compiled for my host natively outside of
> Yocto? As it happened, using my own qemu the images ran fine, but when
> I tried using the runqemu script that's when I'd see problems.
>
> Well, there is not much I can tell about your build system and then there
is of course a sequence of events. What I do know for sure is that YP will
build Qemu without video support if libsdl-devel is missing on your host
system because that happened to me before. You will not notice it unless
you go back to the log of the configure task and check the output.

> Removing/moving/deleting my sstate fixed the problem, which suggests
> to me that there something stored in there that's bad (does that make
> sense?).

Removing sstate triggered a rebuilt of qemu-native which also includes
running the configure task again whose output sets the switch whether or
not Qemu is built with video support. Apparently the first time you built
it it could not find libsdl-devel on your host but the second time it
could. But of course I cannot tell you why that happened. Do you still have
the logs? Did you install libsdl-devel between the two attempts?

:rjs