[yocto] writeup on the mechanics of FILESEXTRAPATHS and bbappend files

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Wed Apr 17 08:12:26 PDT 2013

On Wed, 17 Apr 2013, Paul Eggleton wrote:

> On Wednesday 17 April 2013 10:24:42 Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >   a while back, i dug into how FILESEXTRAPATHS worked with respect to
> > .bbappend files and i wrote it up, just updated it a bit here:
> >
> > http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/FILESEXTRAPATHS_and_bbappend_files
> >
> > do i have it about right? it seemed that the underlying details
> > weren't really explained well in any of the current yocto docs, and i
> > wanted something i could point students at.
>
> It looks OK to me although if you're going to point students at it I
> might suggest moving the "don't look here!" stuff elsewhere ;)

  yes, that's going to be updated with more examples ripped from the
headlines. :-)

> Also as I believe I mentioned before, FILESEXTRAPATHS adds not just
> one directory but an "entire list of directories" is it allows
> bbappend file path behaviour to match that of the recipe itself.

  quite so. the reason i did that writeup is that, as i mentioned, i
don't think the behaviour of FILESEXTRAPATHS is well explained. for
example, the entry in the reference manual variable glossary here:

http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/1.2/poky-ref-manual/poky-ref-manual.html#var-FILESEXTRAPATHS

doesn't even *hint* at the underlying behaviour, which i think is
important to understand.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca