[yocto] Repository to upgrade images

Trevor Woerner twoerner at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 12:15:01 PDT 2013

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 3:02 PM, Edward Vidal <vidal.develone at gmail.com> wrote:
> Are there any plans to provide a repo of pkgs where systems can be upgraded
> and new pkgs installed like other distro Fedora, CentOS, and rhel?  This
> would also require yum or the new software that is replacing yum.

I doubt it. The Yocto Project is not an embedded Linux distribution –
it creates a custom one for you. Providing a public package upgrade
repository is fine for a given distribution (e.g. Fedora, Debian, etc)
because it can make assumptions regarding the compiler, c library,
build/configuration options, etc. If you are creating your own
distributions, any of those variable can be tweaked, therefore making
any such public repository useless.

If you would like to have such an ability for your devices, you'll
need have to create your own public site and build the packages
yourself (all of which will incorporate any of your specific
"tweaks"). Yocto will help you do that (and make it easy) but doing
this in a generic way for everyone's Yocto distribution would be
impossible (I would think).

> Does any of embedded boards support PXE?

Whether or not a board can boot via TFTP is a function of the
bootloader. u-boot supports TFTP booting so theoretically this should
be possible. Whether or not TFTP is enabled in your u-boot build
and/or whether or not your BSP includes and builds your own u-boot is
another question.