[yocto] newer host fails to build old qemu-native Was: working my way through the kernel hands-on labs finally

Trevor Woerner twoerner at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 05:55:46 PDT 2013

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 6:34 PM, Trevor Woerner <twoerner at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, I'll try reproducing this and post my results.

Now I've hit a snag. Since performing these tests, I have upgraded my
host system from openSUSE 12.2 to 12.3. Building qemu-native from the
HEAD (which uses qemu version 1.4.0) succeeds just fine. Trying to
build danny's qemu-native (which is version 1.2.0) fails. The problem
is that back in the 1.2.0 days the qemu build was not explicitly
including -lrt, but now it is. My guess is that back then -lrt was
being implicitly included as part of some other explicit library
dependency, but now that link probably needs to be explicit.

>From qemu-git this explicit check (and inclusion) of -lrt was put in
with 8bacde.
[qemu-git]$ git describe --contains 8bacde
v1.3.0-rc0~548

It looks like this has been backported to the meta-freescale layer.
https://lists.yoctoproject.org/pipermail/meta-freescale/2013-February/001461.html

I'll need to include something similar so danny-8.0.1 can proceed.

This has nothing to do with Yocto itself. If I download, unpack,
configure, and build qemu-1.2.0 separately (i.e. completely outside of
Yocto), it fails too. But doing the same with 1.4.0 succeeds.