[yocto] GDB problems

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Mon Apr 8 04:03:52 PDT 2013

I'm trying to run GDB to debug code on my target.  Whenever I start
it up, I get this warning:
   warning: Unable to find libthread_db matching inferior's thread library, thread debugging will not be available.
and indeed, no thread debug commands will work.

I've found that the library /usr/lib/libthread_db.so is not being
installed in the rootfs.  However, just adding this library isn't
enough.  The file /lib/libpthread-2.60.so has been stripped on the
target and this also breaks GDB.  Installing a non-stripped version
of this library lets GDB do thread debugging.

Both of these libraries come from the eglibc package.  How can I
adjust that recipe to:
   * Install libthread_db.so
   * Avoid stripping libpthread-2.16.so

It looks like the libthread_db.so file(s) should be installed via
the 'eglibc-thread-db' package, but I can't find this package anywhere
on my system.

Any pointers?

Thanks