[yocto] Serial communication problem!

Florin Cristian Dan dan.florincristian at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 02:22:14 PDT 2013

Hello,
I have a little problem in finding out how does serial communication works
within yocto-project.
I've build a sato image with meta-emenlow bsp and qt4 support, i've done
some qt apps and succeded in making them work on the target machine.
Now i want my qt applicaion to recive some data via serial port, my target
machine has a single serial DB9 father connector. I've found a class and
build a program wich opens a specified port and listens it.
i also have a Explorer 16 development board wich i use to send data trough
serial. I tested whis with my ubuntu PC(sent data from devel. board, and
opend a port with the qt program) and it worked i was able to see exactly
what i've expected.
Then i connected the devl board with my target machine, ran the serial
listener on the target machine,  with "ttyS0" as the name for serial port,
but nothing happend, no errors occured, but it just sitts there and dosen't
do anything, i've also tried ttyS1 ttyS2 ttyS3 for the port name, but the
same thing happend.
Any advice?
Is there some line that needs to be written before i burn my sato image in
order to enable serial ports?
Thank you