[yocto] The term Package as used in the YP docs

Trevor Woerner twoerner at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 12:12:44 PDT 2012

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 2:34 PM, Paul Eggleton
<paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com> wrote:
> On Friday 28 September 2012 11:27:37 Rudolf Streif wrote:
>> Unfortunately, changing variables like P, PN, PV, PR etc.
>> may cause some pain. If a transition is what the broader community would
>> like to achieve then a period where old and new variables can be used
>> interchangeably (if possible) would be the way to go.
>
> I'm not sure there's a huge amount to be gained by doing this when weighed
> against the cost - it would certainly cause a massive amount of churn, with
> the potential for problems with layer interaction where one layer has done the
> big rename and another that bbappends recipes in the first hasn't.

Not that it matters in the grand scheme of things, but I would be in
favour of switching the variable names. Consistency is as consistency
does; if there's any hope people can stop confusing "poky" for
"yocto", "yocto" with "the yocto project", and "packages" for
"recipes" then it needs to be pervasively correct.

Provided the Yocto Project continues to grow, changes like this only
get harder with time, and if the project gets bigger (i.e. more uses)
the confusion only spreads further the longer it is left unchecked.

In any case I applaud all the efforts to standardize the wording,
especially in the documentation. As such I think it would be quite
helpful to have the proposed historical note included. Hopefully, the
sooner newcomers are aware of the issue, the less they're likely to
trip up over it.