[yocto] The term Package as used in the YP docs

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Fri Sep 28 11:34:16 PDT 2012

On Friday 28 September 2012 11:27:37 Rudolf Streif wrote:
> +1
>
> I agree with Scott's definition. In the general Linux context a Package is
> a compilation of binaries, documentation, development files, etc. wrapped
> up in a format that can be used by a package management system to install
> it on a target system.

No dispute there.

> It is somewhat confusing that YP and OE use the term 'package' synonymously
> with 'recipe'. In most cases a package is the output of a recipe.

The thing is, we no longer do that - we've fixed a number of references in the
documentation, help text and error messages for this release so that "recipe"
is used when that's what we mean. If we've left any references that should be
considered a bug.

> Unfortunately, changing variables like P, PN, PV, PR etc.
> may cause some pain. If a transition is what the broader community would
> like to achieve then a period where old and new variables can be used
> interchangeably (if possible) would be the way to go.

I'm not sure there's a huge amount to be gained by doing this when weighed
against the cost - it would certainly cause a massive amount of churn, with
the potential for problems with layer interaction where one layer has done the
big rename and another that bbappends recipes in the first hasn't.

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton