[yocto] The term Package as used in the YP docs

Rudolf Streif rudolf.streif at linux.com
Fri Sep 28 11:27:37 PDT 2012

+1

I agree with Scott's definition. In the general Linux context a Package is
a compilation of binaries, documentation, development files, etc. wrapped
up in a format that can be used by a package management system to install
it on a target system.

It is somewhat confusing that YP and OE use the term 'package' synonymously
with 'recipe'. In most cases a package is the output of a recipe.

I am all for making this more consistent at least to start with in the
documentation. Unfortunately, changing variables like P, PN, PV, PR etc.
may cause some pain. If a transition is what the broader community would
like to achieve then a period where old and new variables can be used
interchangeably (if possible) would be the way to go.

:rjs