[yocto] SSTATE_MIRRORS information needed

Rifenbark, Scott M scott.m.rifenbark at intel.com
Tue Sep 25 14:01:12 PDT 2012

Could someone provide me with a rough paragraph or two as a base with which to create a glossary entry for the SSTATE_MIRRORS variable?  Richard submitted a patch that introduces a two-letter directory name that chunks up the shared state cache.   As an explanation for the new behavior he provided this (sourced from http://lists.linuxtogo.org/pipermail/openembedded-devel/2012-July/040712.html):

Currently all sstate files are placed into one directory. This does not scale and

causes a variety of filesystem issues. This patch adds a two character subdirectory

to the layout (based on the first two characters of the hash) so that files

can be split into several directories.

This should help performance of sstate in most cases by avoding creating directories with

huge numbers of files.

The SSTATE_MIRRORS syntax needs updating to account for the extra path element by

the addition of a PATH item, for example:

SSTATE_MIRRORS = "file://.*<file:///\\.*> file:///some/path/to/sstate-cache/PATH"<file:///\\some\path\to\sstate-cache\PATH%22>

SSTATE_MIRRORS = "file://.*<file:///\\.*> http://192.168.1.23/sstate-cache/PATH"<http://192.168.1.23/sstate-cache/PATH%22>

I would like to create a glossary entry for the SSTATE_MIRRORS variable in the YP Reference Manual.  Currently, the only place this variable is referenced in the YP documentation is a small example in http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/latest/poky-ref-manual/poky-ref-manual.html#shared-state.  In that example I can update the syntax of the SSTATE_MIRRORS statements used in the example but it would be good to have the variable referenced in the glossary.

Scott Rifenbark
Intel Corporation
Yocto Project Documentation
503.712.2702