[yocto] yocto beagleboard.conf -- should it not go away?

William Mills wmills at ti.com
Tue Sep 4 13:25:36 PDT 2012

On 09/04/2012 01:18 PM, Darren Hart wrote:

> On 09/04/2012 05:20 AM, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 4:58 AM, Tomas Frydrych
>> <tf+lists.yocto at r-finger.com>  wrote:
>>> Hi Bruce,

>>> a) I am targeting multiple chips, including TI Omap and Intel Atom.
>>> meta-yocto is a prerequisite for the various machines in meta-intel, so
>>> I have to include meta-yocto if I want to build images for an Intel
>>> chip. Nothing unusual here.
>>>
>>> b) meta-yocto is the Poky distro layer; if you want to use Poky, then
>>> you need meta-yocto.

oe-core + meta-ti should work or it needs to get fixed.
poky + meta-ti should work or it needs to get fixed.

However I suspect the 2nd is not in the nightly builds yet.

Denys is out for the next few days.  He can comment more when he gets back.

It has been our assumption that there is enough functionality in the
layer mechanisms that any of the "light weight" BSPs in yocto layer
could be completely overridden by a more complete layer (meta-ti in this
example).  In addition the end system integrator should be able to
override definitions in any BSP layer.

I suspect the current issue is just growing pains for a case that has
not been tested.  Lets prove that false before taking more drastic action.

>>> The basic problem with meta-yocto is that it combines BSP stuff
>>> (meta-intel prerequisite, Atom&  Beagle config) with distro stuff (Poky,
>>> Yocto branding). That's convenient for doing QA on a limited set of HW,
>>> but suboptimal for real use; BSP layers simply should not be dependent
>>> on distro layers, it largely defeats the purpose of having layers.

Darren: Is it true you can't get @ the Intel BSP's w/o also getting the
poky distro defs?  That does seem to mixing things a bit.  (I am not
claiming meta-ti is clean yet but I want to understand the Intel examples.)