[yocto] yocto beagleboard.conf -- should it not go away?

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 05:24:50 PDT 2012

On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 4:21 AM, Jack Mitchell <ml at communistcode.co.uk> wrote:
> On 03/09/12 22:08, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 4:55 PM, Tomas Frydrych
>> <tf+lists.yocto at r-finger.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> snip...
>>>

>>> That being said, taking a step back, what are you trying to get out of
>>> meta-yocto in this scenario ? oe-core + meta-ti is probably what you
>>> should be using.
>>>

> Sorry to jump in here, but this is actually a very interesting point. From
> coming to OpenEmbedded through Yocto and subsequently learning about the
> ecosystem as a whole, I have always considered meta-yocto to be providing a
> sane distro configuration. This implies that I believe the oe-core default
> distro configuration, even though it will build, the result won't be very
> satisfying - or maybe a bit disjointed.

No worries. Take everything that I say as observations from a arms length
distance to how things are maintained and the plans about compatibility,
evolution, etc. So what I say, may not reflect reality :)

> You seem to be saying above that the meta-yocto layer is only any good for
> providing the kernel framework, and as he is not using the framework (i.e.
> using meta-ti) then there is no point in using the meta-yocto layer? So does
> the Poky distro config only really slap a name on the oe-core default distro
> policy - or does it have some added value?

There's value, and Richard has covered it a few times on the mailing list. I
probably wouldn't do it justice, so I'll wait to see if others with a better
articulated description jump in.

The linux-yocto kernel itself can work without any build system at all, so my
point of view is different :)

Cheers,

Bruce

> I'm not trying to rile anyone up here, just trying to put the jigsaw
> together as the picture looks different every time I revisit it!!
>
> Regards,
>
> --
>
>   Jack Mitchell (jack at embed.me.uk)
>   Embedded Systems Engineer