[yocto] yocto beagleboard.conf -- should it not go away?

Jack Mitchell ml at communistcode.co.uk
Tue Sep 4 01:21:58 PDT 2012

On 03/09/12 22:08, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 4:55 PM, Tomas Frydrych
> <tf+lists.yocto at r-finger.com> wrote:
>> snip...
>>

>> That being said, taking a step back, what are you trying to get out of
>> meta-yocto in this scenario ? oe-core + meta-ti is probably what you
>> should be using.

Sorry to jump in here, but this is actually a very interesting point.
 From coming to OpenEmbedded through Yocto and subsequently learning
about the ecosystem as a whole, I have always considered meta-yocto to
be providing a sane distro configuration. This implies that I believe
the oe-core default distro configuration, even though it will build, the
result won't be very satisfying - or maybe a bit disjointed.

You seem to be saying above that the meta-yocto layer is only any good
for providing the kernel framework, and as he is not using the framework
(i.e. using meta-ti) then there is no point in using the meta-yocto
layer? So does the Poky distro config only really slap a name on the
oe-core default distro policy - or does it have some added value?

I'm not trying to rile anyone up here, just trying to put the jigsaw
together as the picture looks different every time I revisit it!!

Regards,

--

   Jack Mitchell (jack at embed.me.uk)
   Embedded Systems Engineer