[yocto] ERROR: Function failed: do_rootfs, poky commit id 8ce23f569584f195391bc5c68a780e1bf54e4360

Elvis Dowson elvis.dowson at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 11:35:49 PDT 2012

Hi,

On Oct 23, 2012, at 8:32 PM, Elvis Dowson <elvis.dowson at gmail.com> wrote:

> I haven't had any solutions for this build error that I'm facing. If someone could offer some insight as to what might be going wrong, it would be much appreciated.

>>> ERROR: Task 7 (/tool/yocto/poky/meta/recipes-core/images/core-image-minimal.bb, do_rootfs) failed with exit code '1'
>>> NOTE: Tasks Summary: Attempted 1395 tasks of which 227 didn't need to be rerun and 1 failed.
>>> No currently running tasks (1395 of 1396)
>>
>> The build appears to be failing because it cannot install packagegroup-core-boot. Has something changed recently in poky/master, that might be causing this?
>
> I additionally notice that the path being generated is zynq_702 instead of zynq-702.
>
> No-where in Philip Ballister's machine configs for the zc702 board, is is mentioned zynq_zc702 with an underscore, yet it adds it.
>
> It's kind of weird.
>
> ERROR: Function failed: do_rootfs (see /tool/yocto/poky/build/tmp/work/zynq_zc702-poky-linux-gnueabi/core-image-minimal-1.0-r0/temp/log.do_rootfs.30138 for further information)
>
> It's kind of weird.
>
> I also see the same zynq_zc702 entry with an underscore in the logs as follows:
>
> | + ipkgarchs='all any noarch arm armv4 armv5 armv5-vfp armv5e armv5e-vfp armv6-vfp armv7a armv7a-vfp armv7a-vfp-neon zynq_zc702'
>
> What could be causing this?

I found out why it was failing. I recently added two SSD drives in a RAID0 stripped disk configuration. One of the performance tweaks was to move /tmp to RAM, to improve the life of the SSDs. My /etc/fstab for setting up the /tmp folder inadvertently included the noexec,nodev,nosuid options, which cause the rootfs process to fail.

the following entry works for the /etc/fstab for moving the /tmp file to RAM

none    /tmp    tmpfs    defaults,noatime,nodiratime    0    0

I just updated poky and the rest of the meta-layers to the latest commit on their respective master branches, and it built successfully.

Best regards,

Elvis Dowson