[yocto] Multiple partitions in drive image

Joshua Immanuel josh at hipro.co.in
Sun Oct 14 23:59:40 PDT 2012

Hello Jonathan,

On Fri, 2012-10-12 at 21:42 +0000, Jonathan Haws wrote:
> What I am trying to do is have Poky build me an image that I can just
> 'dd' to a SSD and hook up to the system to boot.  Since that image
> will also only be only ~250MB or so, I would like to have Poky
> generate an image containing multiple partitions - a small one
> containing the boot files, then the rest of the image dedicated to
> storage.  Is that possible?

Yes. It is possible. I have done the following in order to generate
image with multiple partitions.

     1. I wrote a custom image_types.bbclass in order to generate
        multiple partition images (say /, /var etc)
     2. Wrote a bbappend for base-files recipe to generate custom fstab
        file with required partition's mount options
     3. Extended grub-native recipe to generate core.img and boot.img
        using grub-mkimage for target platform
     4. Wrote a python task to join all these generated images (boot,
        core and filesystem images) and embedded the partition table
        structure into it.
     5. Added this task to my image recipe after the 'do_rootfs' task

This way we can generate a custom image with the required partitions.
--
Joshua Immanuel
HiPro IT Solutions Private Limited