[yocto] Making recipes depend on specific layers

Tomas Frydrych tf+lists.yocto at r-finger.com
Fri Oct 5 07:48:23 PDT 2012

Hi,

On 05/10/12 14:58, Philip Balister wrote:
> I run into problems (typically with BSP layers) where I want the layer
> to build only against oe-core, but I also would like to have recipes
> that depend on other layers. Typically, a "complex" image that uses
> packages built from other layers.

Not sure if I fully understood what you are trying to do, but I'd be
worried about adding yet another dependency dimension to the system as a
whole.

Regarding the problems with coexisting bsp layers, I eventually came to
the conclusion that it's best to avoid parsing any irrelevant bsp layers
altogether. The way we handle this in Guacamayo is to keep the
bsp-related recipes in dedicated directories that can be easily BBMASKed
out:

  recipes-bsp/ti-appends: for recipes related to meta-ti
  recipes-bsp/rpi-appends: for recipes related to meta-raspberrypi

For each machine we support we then have a machine conf that looks like
this (e.g., for beagleboard.conf):

  # source canonical beagleboard.conf from meta-ti
  require ../../../layers/meta-ti/conf/machine/beagleboard.conf

  BBMASK .= "|.*/meta-raspberrypi|.*/recipes-bsp/rpi-appends"

Consequently for any given machine only a single bsp layer is ever
parsed and the layers do not interfere with each other; this currently
triggers a bitbake warning about no recipes being in the masked out
layers, but other than does exactly what it is meant to.

Tomas