[yocto] Making recipes depend on specific layers

Philip Balister philip at balister.org
Fri Oct 5 06:58:35 PDT 2012

I run into problems (typically with BSP layers) where I want the layer
to build only against oe-core, but I also would like to have recipes
that depend on other layers. Typically, a "complex" image that uses
packages built from other layers.

Now, I could just make a shim layer that contains the recipes that
depends on a larger set of layers, but this gets annoying.

What I'd like to do is provide a way for recipes to say they depend on
other layers, but if that layer is not present, parsing should not fail.
Obviously, attempting to build such a recipe would fail (with a suitable
error message).

Richard showed me some Python I can use to do this, but I'd like to know
if this seems useful to other people.

Obviously, switching layer sin and out can lead to madness, but I'd
rather not try to protect the end user from every stupid thing they can
do at the expense of making thing more complex from a shear number of
layers view.

Philip