[yocto] Howto add TIPC-support into kernel?

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at windriver.com
Tue Oct 2 06:50:38 PDT 2012

On 12-10-02 05:23 AM, Jonas Jonsson L wrote:
> Hi!
> I'm writing a recipe for a piece of software that requires TIPC support
> in the kernel. I've tried to figure out a way to accomplish this within
> my bb-file, but with no success. Is there a way to do such thing with
> Yocto, currently I run 'bitbake -c menuconfig linux-yocto' (or is it
> yocto-linux, can't recall) and then I add 'kernel-modules' to
> IMAGE_INSTALL_append in my 'local.conf'-file? I would like to have this
> dependency some-how contained within my recipe.

Are you primarily concerned with getting the kernel options enabled and
then the built modules installed onto your target ? (I ask because
TIPC userspace can come into play .. depending on your usecase).

If so, you'd want to add a linux-yocto_3.4.bbappend (assuming you are
using the 3.4 kernel) to your layer, and put your options into a .cfg
fragment that you append to the SRC_URI (just like any patch or other
file). Those options will be added to the config on your next build and
installed.

In that same layer, you can add kernel-modules to IMAGE_INSTALL and
you'll get the build and install whenever the layer is active.

There are other ways to do this as well, but what I have above is
what I typically do in a distro or BSP layer.

Cheers,

Bruce