[yocto] IMAGE_INSTALL_append workflow

Trevor Woerner twoerner at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 07:47:31 PST 2012

I'm kinda surprised nobody jumped in on this one; either my question
is so silly it isn't worth anyone's time, or I'm the only one who
wants to add packages to an image after a full build. I know my
question has nothing to do with trace-cmd specifically, adding any
package after a full build results in the same problem.

It would certainly seem odd that the yocto workflow assumes you always
know 100% ahead of time which packages you want in your final image. I
know when I was playing around with Hob this wasn't an issue: I would
simply add the new packages and Hob would build them and add them to
the image.

>From what I have seen from skimming the documentation, the
documentation talks at length about how to add a new package to the
configuration, but it doesn't say what commands to issue after
modifying the config files. Obviously running "bitbake <image>" alone
doesn't work.