[yocto] IMAGE_INSTALL_append workflow

Trevor Woerner twoerner at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 10:27:00 PST 2012

There have been many emails and lots of documentation describing how
to add a package to a build, and that's all great.

Today I was playing around with an image I had already built and
decided I wanted to add a new package to the mix: trace-cmd. I added "
trace-cmd" (with the required leading space) to IMAGE_INSTALL_append
and re-ran my "bitbake <image>" command.

It failed:

    Unable to resolve package trace-cmd

If I perform:

    $ bitbake trace-cmd

and then

    $ bitbake <image>

it works fine. What am I missing?

As it turns out, if I knew before my first build that I wanted
trace-cmd, I could have just added it as described above and
everything would have worked as well.

Best regards,
    Trevor