[yocto] Cedartrail / GLES / Framebuffer

Chris Tapp opensource at keylevel.com
Thu Nov 22 00:15:22 PST 2012

Hi Ross,

(Resend, as I forgot to include the list last time).

On 15 Nov 2012, at 14:44, Burton, Ross wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 20 October 2012 19:31, Chris Tapp <opensource at keylevel.com> wrote:
>> I'm still trying to get my 'perfect' platform configuration for a project.
>>
>> 1) I need to use the 'nopvr' machine as I need unionfs. This means I need the kernel 3.2, which doesn't currently support pvr;
>> 2) I'm running using the framebuffer and would rather not have to include libx11;
>> 3) I was using SDL, but I now need to support GLESv2 / EGL as well.
>>
>> Is it possible to build a system that runs like this? i.e. GLES on the framerbuffer without X11.
>>
>> I think the only issue is getting a build of MESA that runs without x11, but is there anything else, or another way?
>
> I had this marked to Follow Up but managed to ignore it until now, sorry.

My turn - I had to go to Japan for a week and I've only just caught up with e-mails ;-)

> GLES without X11 should work using EGL, but that will be using the
> closed cdv-pvr-drivers package.  If you can't use those for other
> reasons, then you're stuck.

That should be ok for this project. Thanks for the confirmation.

> (yay closed drivers)
>
> I understand that Ubuntu contains a re-packaging and re-build of the
> CedarView binary drivers - it may be worth seeing what kernel they are
> built against as I believe that the stack is slightly new than the
> MeeGo-derived binaries that we're using.

I'll have a look, but this is well outside my comfort-zone :-) James Abernathy reported similar:

"It may not solve the 3.0 problem for CDV and Yocto, but I noticed that Ubuntu 12.04.1 with the 3.2 kernel supports the PVR driver on it's 3.2.0 kernel.  I've only tested it successfully on an All-In-One with LVDS off of an eDP to LVDS converter used on the DN2800MT motherboard."

> Ross

Chris Tapp

opensource at keylevel.com
www.keylevel.com