[yocto] Problem compiling diffutils on poky-tiny in danny

Tim Bird tim.bird at am.sony.com
Wed Nov 14 10:43:28 PST 2012

On 11/14/2012 08:48 AM, Darren Hart wrote:

> On 11/13/2012 05:11 PM, Tim Bird wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm using DISTRO=poky-tiny and trying to build:
>>  $ bitbake core-image-minimal-initramfs
>>
>> I get the following error trying to compile diffutils:

>> i586-poky-linux-gcc  -m32   -march=i586 --sysroot=/a/home/tbird/work/yocto/danny-test1/tmp/sysroots/qemux86 -std=gnu99  -I.      -O2 -pipe -g -feliminate-unused-debug-types -c -o wcwidth.o wcwidth.c
>> In file included from wcwidth.c:23:0:
>> ./wctype.h:448:1: error: static declaration of 'iswalnum' follows non-static declaration
>> ./wctype.h:460:1: error: static declaration of 'iswalpha' follows non-static declaration
>

> Is there an option to build diffutils without wide character support?
> This is something tiny does away with and frequent point of failure
> when trying to build additional packages with it.

I'll see if I can find something.

>> See the attached compile log for details.
>>
>> Has anyone done this recently?  Is this one of the supported images for
>> this distro (poky-tiny)?
>

> I don't build that target as I use the cpio.gz from core-image-minimal
> as an initial ramdisk. Is there a particular reason you want to build
> "core-image-minimal-initramfs" specifically?

Building poky-tiny with core-image-minimal worked fine.  I didn't understand
that this built multiple images (including a cpio.gz), and thought that
the default method of building a cpio.gz was to build the <image-name>-initramfs
image.  So, no, I don't have a particular reason to do this.

Also, I'm not sure I am doing the startup initialization with runqemu
correctly.  I wouldn't have expected any rootfs to be used for this image,
but the default invocation of runqemu uses one.  An example shows use of
a 'ramfs' parameter.  I think I need to dig into runqemu and verify
args are appropriate for an initramfs.

>> Has anyone seen this type of error before, or can provide some
>> hints of what to check or adjust to fix this?
>
> Yup, it's wide characters being required by diffutils and being excluded
> by the poky-tiny DISTRO_FEATURES_LIBC assignment. If supported by
> diffutils, we might be able to test ENABLE_WIDEC in diffutils and
> configure accordingly (see the ncurses recipes for an example).

I'll poke around.  I'm curious why poky-tiny core-image-minimal built
OK, but core-image-minimal-initramfs didn't.  I didn't expect
any difference in target-side binaries between the two - only some
changes in the image build steps.

Thanks for the tips.  I'll check it out.
 -- Tim

Tim Bird
Architecture Group Chair, CE Workgroup of the Linux Foundation
Senior Staff Engineer, Sony Network Entertainment