[yocto] Problem compiling diffutils on poky-tiny in danny

Darren Hart dvhart at linux.intel.com
Wed Nov 14 08:48:19 PST 2012

On 11/13/2012 05:11 PM, Tim Bird wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm using DISTRO=poky-tiny and trying to build:
>  $ bitbake core-image-minimal-initramfs
>
> I get the following error trying to compile diffutils:

> i586-poky-linux-gcc  -m32   -march=i586 --sysroot=/a/home/tbird/work/yocto/danny-test1/tmp/sysroots/qemux86 -std=gnu99  -I.      -O2 -pipe -g -feliminate-unused-debug-types -c -o wcwidth.o wcwidth.c
> In file included from wcwidth.c:23:0:
> ./wctype.h:448:1: error: static declaration of 'iswalnum' follows non-static declaration
> ./wctype.h:460:1: error: static declaration of 'iswalpha' follows non-static declaration

Is there an option to build diffutils without wide character support?
This is something tiny does away with and frequent point of failure
when trying to build additional packages with it.

> See the attached compile log for details.
>
> Has anyone done this recently?  Is this one of the supported images for
> this distro (poky-tiny)?

I don't build that target as I use the cpio.gz from core-image-minimal
as an initial ramdisk. Is there a particular reason you want to build
"core-image-minimal-initramfs" specifically?

> Has anyone seen this type of error before, or can provide some
> hints of what to check or adjust to fix this?

Yup, it's wide characters being required by diffutils and being excluded
by the poky-tiny DISTRO_FEATURES_LIBC assignment. If supported by
diffutils, we might be able to test ENABLE_WIDEC in diffutils and
configure accordingly (see the ncurses recipes for an example).

Thanks,

--
Darren Hart
Intel Open Source Technology Center