[yocto] meta-cedartrail - serial console

Darren Hart dvhart at linux.intel.com
Thu May 31 12:41:25 PDT 2012

On 05/31/2012 11:54 AM, jfabernathy wrote:
> On 05/31/2012 02:13 PM, Darren Hart wrote:
>>
>> On 05/31/2012 09:11 AM, jfabernathy wrote:
>>> Using a DN2800MT (Marshalltown) Intel board, I'm testing the
>>> meta-cedartrail using edison branch and noticed an issues with the
>>> serial console.
>>>
>>> The cedartrail.conf in the machine directory has the following statements:
>>>
>>> SYSLINUX_OPTS = "serial 0 115200"
>>> SERIAL_CONSOLE = "115200 ttyS0"
>>> APPEND += "console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0"
>>>
>>> However, when the image booted, I had no serial console on ttyS0.  I
>>> checked /etc/inittab and noticed that the following line existed:
>>>
>>> S:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 115200 ttyS3
>>>
>>> I changed the ttyS3 to ttyS0 and then I have a serial console on the
>>> next reboot.  So it appears the override in the .conf file is not
>>> working.  Also I only have the console from getty, and not the kernel
>>> logging console.
>>>
>>> Anyone have a solution??
>>>
>>> If this is considered a bug I can put it on bugzilla.
>> Lets make sure your environment is what we expect. Please provide the
>> output of:
>>
>> $ bitbake core-image-minimal -e | grep SERIAL_CONSOLE=
>>
>> If it is not "115200 ttyS0" then it is getting overwritten somewhere
>> either in your config, or possibly by an inappropriate selection of an
>> assignment operator (=, ?=, etc.) in edison.
> okay now I'm confused.  while the cedartrail.conf file has the following:
> SYSLINUX_OPTS = "serial 3 115200"
> SERIAL_CONSOLE = "115200 ttyS3"
> APPEND += "console=ttyS3,115200 console=tty3"
>

> The output of the bitbake command you suggested above gives:
> jim at ubuntu-x64:~/poky/build$ bitbake core-image-minimal -e | grep
> SERIAL_CONSOLE=
>
> # SERIAL_CONSOLE=115200 ttyS0
> SERIAL_CONSOLE="115200 ttyS0"
> jim at ubuntu-x64:~/poky/build$
>
> So is the bitbake command showing the results before the cedartrail.conf
> options take affect??

variable assignments can be tricky, and are not the easiest things to
track down. I suggest looking through your configured layers and looking
for all the SERIAL_CONSOLE assignments using ttyS3 and ttyS0 and see if
you can determine what is overriding your cedartrail.conf setting.

--
Darren Hart
Intel Open Source Technology Center