[yocto] checking out branches: tracking vs. tags

jfabernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Thu May 24 07:55:18 PDT 2012

I'm trying to understand a few git concepts as they relate to Yocto.
Reading the 1.2 version of the Development Manual Appendix A
(http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/dev-manual/dev-manual.html#dev-manual-bsp-appendix),
I see the statement:

   $ git checkout denzil-7.0 -b denzil

What I think this does is create me a local branch that is fixed to what
was committed when the denzil-7.0 tag was created and it will remain
that way and will not track the denzil branch as it gets updated.  Right????

Now if I want to track the denzil branch as changes are committed, I
think I do the following.

  $ git checkout origin/denzil -b denzil

Now I can do git pull commands to get the updates that are committed.
Right??

Jim A