[yocto] Raspberry Pi [was Re: Kernel modules fail to compile for ARM]

Chris Tapp opensource at keylevel.com
Tue May 15 09:33:52 PDT 2012

On 15 May 2012, at 16:44, Bruce Ashfield wrote:

> On 12-05-15 05:15 AM, Tomas Frydrych wrote:
>> On 14/05/12 19:52, Chris Tapp wrote:
>>> I'm trying to put a BSP together for an ARM system (Raspberry Pi, ARM1176JZF-S CPU).
>>
>> I got the feeling that there might be multiple OE/RPI efforts going on
>> at the same time unaware of each other, e.g., I noticed this
>> meta-raspberrypi layer on github that seems to be well on the way,
>> https://github.com/djwillis/meta-raspberrypi ... perhaps getting various
>> folk interested in this together would be beneficial.
>
> I'll jump in and ask my obvious question, if we want to pull in some
> extra BSP/kernel developers, is there a fundamental reason why a
> different kernel/kernel version than one of the linux-yocto ones is
> being used ?

That's certainly the way I'm trying to go. I would like to see a full-feature BSP as the 'default' for the board that can easily be customized to reduce the size / boot times for 'full embedded' use. If only I could work out how to get it to work ;-)

It also needs some extra 'stuff' to pull the image together - there's a Broadcom-provided binary that has to be used as the first stage when booting, but the first step (as I see it) is to get a working kernel image based on linux-yocto 3.0/3.2.

> If you line up with one of those, there's a chance to pickup fixes,
> features and have someone like me help maintain things where it
> makes sense.

That would be really nice.

> Collecting kernels and BSPs in trees all over the place is one of the
> things that I'd like to try and help with going forward in 2012.

Chris Tapp

opensource at keylevel.com
www.keylevel.com