[yocto] is yocto based on oe-core *as-is*?

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Sun Mar 11 05:46:17 PDT 2012

On 2012-03-11 06:33, Paul Eggleton wrote:
> On Saturday 10 March 2012 04:40:15 Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>    while i'm working my thru the docs, i want to verify that yocto is
>> built on top of oe-core straight from the oe-core repo, is that
>> correct?  as in, yocto doesn't make any yocto-specific mods to the
>> fundamental, lower-level OE core layers, does it?  it simply adds
>> layers on top, right?
>
> This is correct, and you can verify it by doing a diff of the OE-Core meta/
> subdirectory against Poky's meta/ - the only difference is that Poky does not
> include the sample configs (it provides its own in meta-yocto).

Have you actually done such a comparison?  I just compared them like this:
   poky/yocto:
      commit 320558f494c618f53e0c773db3ea0109476e8359
      Author: Paul Eggleton <paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com>
      Date:   Wed Feb 29 12:59:14 2012 +0000

   openembedded-core:
      commit 50dc8bfbac42b9a9b52a2f7d0568740c41790c13
      Author: Richard Purdie <richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org>
      Date:   Fri Mar 9 14:14:04 2012 +0800

These are the up-to-date master branches, as of 2012-03-11 12:40 GMT

Tons of changes, many minor/cosmetic, but lots of substantial changes in
recipes, etc.  Maybe the Poky policy is to match oe-core (follow?), but at least
today, it's pretty far out of sync (10 days is forever in net-time)