[yocto] RaspberryPi Kernel - Fails to boot when sound driver is a built-in

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Sun Jun 24 08:25:11 PDT 2012

On Monday 18 June 2012 22:16:44 Chris Tapp wrote:
> If I build the RPi kernel (SRCREV 3fc65f9f291fb19cad434968a4a0f66ab749e637)
> then the board boots as expected.
>
> However, if a modify the .config (either manually after -c configure, or by
> -c menuconfig) so that CONFIG_SND, CONFIG_SND_TIMER, CONFIG_SND_PCM and
> CONFIG_BCM2835 are set to 'y' (i.e. changed from modules) then the kernel
> no longer boots.
>
> Has anyone else tried to do this? I'm trying to get a kernel that has ALSA
> working out-of-the-box.

Well, FWIW I can't even get a kernel with the default configuration built from
meta-raspberrypi to boot - I even tried copying it to a Debian SD-card and it
doesn't boot there either. All I get is a black screen or with the newer
firmware I get the four-colour display which apparently indicates it couldn't
load the kernel.

Any suggestions would be welcome...

Cheers,
Paul