[yocto] RaspberryPi Kernel - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Tue Jun 12 04:30:34 PDT 2012

On 2012-06-12 05:26, Paul Eggleton wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 June 2012 08:23:54 Tomas Frydrych wrote:
>> Over years of working with Poky I have developed this sort of a normal
>> work flow:
>>
>>    bitbake -c devshell<package>
>>    <  do some tweaking>
>>    bitbake -c compile -f<package>
>>    bitbake<package>           <---- this pulls package from sstate!!!
>>    scp ...
>>    <  test, repeat>
>>
>> This no longer works, even after a forced recompile, Poky just pulls a
>> package out of sstate. It seems the only reliable way to force a package
>> rebuild is either to cleansstate or bump the PR, neither of which is
>> viable an option in the above scenario. What am I missing? Is this
>> really intended?
>
> I was surprised because this was not behaviour I would expect either, however
> that is indeed what it does here when I try that sequence. I'm not sure why it
> is behaving this way but I think it is a bug.
>
> FWIW, we will be looking at fixing this exact workflow pretty soon although it
> may involve an extra explicit step to invalidate the stamps.

IMO, if you run a specific step like "-c compile -f", this should automatically
invalidate any stamps and sstate info for the package that depend on that step.
In this case, it should invalidate "install, package, ..." - everything that
normally happens after "compile".  This would fix the observed weirdness above.