[yocto] Recipe question - source directory of depency parent

Jim Rucker linux.mrjimorg at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 12:12:09 PDT 2012

I'm creating a bitbake recipe for a package that is a loadable module, but
it requires the linux source directory in order to build. I added the
virtual/kernel package as our "DEPENDS", but when I run bitbake -e for my
target I don't see an environment variable that specifies where the source
is for the virtual/kernel package. Is there a way to get this, or am doing
this wrong? I put the .bb recipe in the same
meta-ourco/recipes-kernel/linux directory that has the .bb which builds the
linux kernel for our target, but in its own file, with its own "PROVIDES"
variable.