[yocto] meta-baryon flexibility

Joshua Lock josh at linux.intel.com
Tue Jul 17 15:19:02 PDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-07-17 at 15:24 -0400, Jim Abernathy wrote:
> In an effort to explore how independent a layer could be to the
> underlying hardware, I took the meta-baryon NAS layer and got it built
> from master using the n450 BSP.  With that working I decided to replace
> the n450 with sugarbay.  While the n450 can support X11 and sato, it was
> not generated by design in the baryon build.
>
> However, when I changed to sugarbay, the build stops because X11 is
> needed.  To get around this I had to comment out some things in the
> conf/machine/sugarbay.conf file in the BSP.
>

> #XSERVER ?= "${XSERVER_IA32_BASE} \
> #           ${XSERVER_IA32_EXT} \
> #           ${XSERVER_IA32_I965} \
> #           "
>
> #VA_FEATURES ?= "gst-va-intel va-intel"
>
> #MACHINE_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS += "${VA_FEATURES}"
>
> Why didn't I have to do this in the n450??

The key piece is the MACHINE_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS, which is telling Poky to
recommend the gst-va-intel and va-intel recipes when building this
machine.

RRECOMMENDS are automatically installed as a dependency (in this case,
of task-machine-base, see task-base.bbclass) but can be removed without
causing the package which pulled it in to be removed (see the Poky
reference manual glossary on *_RRECOMMENDS).

http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/poky-ref-manual/poky-ref-manual.html

I'd suggest the RRECOMMENDS actually be added at a more granular level
than the machine. Perhaps you could file a bug against the BSP?

Cheers,
Joshua