[yocto] edison/denzil patches (post-1.1.2 and 1.2.1)

McClintock Matthew-B29882 B29882 at freescale.com
Mon Jul 16 08:10:12 PDT 2012

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 9:58 AM, Joshua Lock <josh at linux.intel.com> wrote:
> On 12/07/12 10:43, McClintock Matthew-B29882 wrote:
>>
>> Josh, Scott:
>>
>> I've pushed a set of patches for edison/denzil branch - and I may push
>> a few more still to:
>>

>> http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky-contrib/log/?h=mattsm/edison
>>
>> http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky-contrib/log/?h=mattsm/denzil
>>
>> These are all cherry-pick's and most applied cleanly and a few had
>> some minor cleanups. Please consider these for after the point
>> releases. I will continue to push to these branches and rebase these
>> branches off the official upstream trees as well.
>

> I don't know how much work will be done on Edison after the 1.1.2 release. I
> personally will no longer be working on it and I don't think the team here
> as enough resources to maintain it perpetually.

OK.

> I assume that these changes are predominantly to further improve PPC
> support?

Yes.

> In general your branch has several types of changes that have generally been
> considered inappropriate for a point release (such as recipe upgrades, new
> functionality, etc).

I see very little of this, the valgrind series and/or the a few other
image generation bits.

> Personally I'm not very keen on the idea of pushing them all and advocating
> their inclusion. I'd strongly encourage adoption of this release series if
> it's to continue to be relevant to your work.

So is poky edison dead now? How do I support folks that still want to
use it? I understand that *you* may not have time but is there a
process for someone that cares about this release still to do work? If
a fork is required is there a way to point folks at this fork? Such as
if you want this to work use this other version?

As far as these changes go, we are mostly done with edison as well -
but I was trying to get the official poky edison into a useful state
for powerpc so if folks wanted to go with a community version it would
work reasonably well.

-M