[yocto] menuconfig vs. config fragments?

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 03:39:40 PDT 2012

my goal of this test was to see if I could use the n450 BSP as a starting point for a BSP to support my Acer Aspire One n450 based netbook.  The core-image-sato will boot from USB key on the netbook if I use the ZIP drive format for the USB key, but the current n450 BSP doesn't include the drivers for the networking hardware in the netbook.

I found by testing, using the menuconfig option documented in the Developer Manual Appendix B example, that I needed to add 2 parameters to the .config:

CONFIG_ATH9K_PCI
CONFIG_ATL1C

To make this change easier to manage and more permanent, I thought about creating a config fragment.  I put the config parameters in a file, myconfig, in the linux-yocto directory at the same level as the linux-yocto_3.2.bbappend file, where I added:

SRC_URI += "file//myconfig"

I can see from the tmp/work directory that bitbake found my myconfig file and copied it over, but the .config file used in the building of the kernel didn't have the parameters listed and obviously, the drivers didn't make it.

Is there something else to do to get these config parameters included as config fragments?  Is there some tool reviewing the config parameters and throwing my 2 out for some reason?

The only way I've gotten this to work is with the bitbake linux-yocto -c menuconfig command and manually adding the parameters.

Jim A