[yocto] RFC: Yocto BSP and kernel usability tools

Tom Zanussi tom.zanussi at intel.com
Tue Jan 31 16:07:58 PST 2012

On Tue, 2012-01-31 at 14:52 -0800, Darren Hart wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> This is really late in coming, my apologies. This looks to be the
> beginnings of a very powerful set of tools, and the detail you started
> with should help ensure a successful initial version. Nice work.
>
> Some general questions that don't belong in any one particular place inline:
>
> o You mention the use of json files. Is there a web UI planned for this?
> Or did you just decide that the requirements for the UI were the same as
> a web UI so you opted to use an established format rather than create a
> new one?
>
> o As a follow-on to the previous, it is always nice if the input files
> to tools such as this can be easily human readable (and IMO this
> excludes things like XML and serialized python objects). A simple INI
> type config seems like it might be more accessible and python has a
> module for this. I imagine you've considered this, I'm curious as to
> your rationale for the method outlined below.

As a design point, I've tried to completely decouple the user interface
from the back-end, so that yes, in the future a web UI could easily
replace the current command-line user interface.  I decided to use json
because it's pretty standard for web applications, and Python also has
json parsers available.  And it's human-readable, unlike XML or
serialized Python.  But it really doesn't need to be any of those, if
something else makes sense.

> o I have some concern about yet another description format of BSPs and
> essentially kernel configuration. We already ask users to think in terms
> of SCC and CFG fragments, rather than defconfigs. This effectively asks
> users to start thinking in terms of json name value pairs to map to
> bitbake syntax to describe scc and cfg fragments so we can assemble a
> .config. Having the tools and structure in place eliminates a lot of the
> guesswork, so in the end I think it is probably worth it ... I just
> worry about so many levels of abstraction - and I do not have a better
> alternative in mind.

No, users never see json or any description format (UI tool or webapp
developers do though).  The json format (or whatever it ends up being)
is only used as a way of feeding user input values into the back-end in
the absence of a user interface (e.g. sent from a browser, or specified
as a group on the command-line).  Regardless of where the input comes
from, in any case it's finally translated it into the .scc and .cfg
fragments we all know and love.

Actually, the point of all this is that the end user doesn't even need
to know about .scc files or .cfg fragments, and deals only at a
high-level with 'features' or config items or patches; this whole scheme
allows UI developers to creat UIs that do that.

> o I see the tools for KMACHINE but nothing for KBRANCH. The distinction
> here is subtle and not described in any of our documentations (BSP
> guide, Kernel Arch and Usage, or Yocto Developer guide). Ideally we use
> standard/default/base for new BSPs and only add the meta-data to the
> linux-yocto kernel. Is this workflow supported? I ask because I'm
> failing to accomplish this with the sys940x and seem to have to add the
> sys940x branch in order for kernel_configme to pick up the sys940x meta
> data.

In the current implementation of the cmd-line UI, the user can specify
any branch ending with base e.g.

  standard/base
  standard/default/base
  standard/default/common-pc-64/base
  standard/default/common-pc/base
  standard/preempt-rt/base

'base' is removed from the branch name and replaced with the machine
name e.g.

standard/default/foo

The 'publish' function will end up creating that branch in the repo and
adding the .scc/.cfg files as a bsp/ in the meta branch.  Also, new
features (.cfg and .scc contained in subdirs in the SRC_URI) will be
created under features/ and referenced in the bsp .scc.

I've also run into the same thing you describe - the current tools seem
to require a 1-1 mapping between KBRANCH/KMACHINE and the machine's
metadata, but I don't see a problem with that and it seems more
intuitive to the user (and allows a place to commit bsp-specific
branches immediately without explicitly having to force a new branch
first).

Tom