[yocto] Using stable releases from git

Joshua Lock josh at linux.intel.com
Tue Jan 31 08:04:00 PST 2012

On 31/01/12 07:28, jfabernathy wrote:
> On 01/30/2012 11:38 PM, Joshua Lock wrote:

>>> We I just tried that and it crashed a lot quicker. I'll just stick to
>>> the tarballs until this is all sorted out.
>>
>> Are you using an appropriate tag (or branch) of meta-intel? The master
>> branch of meta-intel with the bernard tag of poky will fail to parse
>> because some of the recipes being appended to in meta-intel have
>> changed names.
>>
> Can you explain the branch vs. tag as Yocto uses it? most of the help on
> git checkout refers to branch, where we are talking using a tag name. In
> Yocto what is the difference?

A tag is a snapshot, a release or milestone usually, and is static.
Releases (and their tarballs) are generated from a tag.

A branch represents some ongoing development of some sort, we branch
master when we're close to release and only put bug fixes in the branch.
When it comes to release time we tag the release.

We use those same branches for any stable maintenance work, once that's
ready for release we'll create another tag.

In short:
* branches are for development and the contents change
* tags are snapshots

Cheers,
Joshua
--