[yocto] Package Updating Goals for 1.2 M3

Saul Wold sgw at linux.intel.com
Mon Jan 30 15:38:48 PST 2012

Core MetaData Folks:

We are making a strong attempt to keep the OE-Core as up to date as
possible, to this end we are tracking the packages that need to be
updated via the packages.yoctoproject.org website and weekly emails.

Our goal for M3 will be based on the 1/15/2012 Package Lists attached to
this email

   * Upgrade Recipe List:
     Goal:
     - Update 70% of the recipes on the combined Upgrade & Manual Check
       list (that need upgrading) by Code freeze of M1.
     - Re-evaluate % for future Milestones during their planning phase.
     - The 70% is exclusive of any packages that can't be upgraded for
       stability or compatibility.
     Background:
     - In an effort to keep Yocto as current and fresh as possible
       we want to continue to update package with the latest stable
       upstream version.
     What to do:
     - Update the package as appropriate
     - Update the distro_tracking_fields.inc with the latest version
       information and last update time.
     Tracking:
     - Weekly Burndown Chart, based on data from tools and Saul

   * Manual Check Recipe List:
     Goal:
     - "LastChkTime" of under 30 days for 100% of the recipes at code
         freeze of each milestone. We need to do a final check in the
         last week of the Development phase.
     Background:
     - This is a list of recipes that require manual checking because
        automatic checking can't parse the directory for some reason
        (such as sourcefourge.net does not allow viewing directories.)
     - We will be working to use other tools such as U-Scan and U-Watch
       that will help with the manual checking.

     What to do:
     - Find Upstream Source and update the RECIPE_MANUAL_CHECK_DATE and
        possibly RECIPE_NO_UPDATE_REASON in distro_tracking_fields.inc on
        a regular basis.
     - These updates should be done regularly such that by each milestone
       code freeze the Check data is no older than 30 days.
     Tracking:
     - Weekly Burndown Chart, based on data from tools and Saul
     - You can see that information in the package.yoctoproject.org site.

   * Patch Upstreaming:
     Goal:
     - No defined goal at this point other than to reduce # of patches
     What to do:
     - Continue working with Upstream communities to push Pending
       patches, use beginning of each Milestone as baseline.
     Tracking:
     - Number of Upstream-able patches is reduced
     - Patches are getting status Updates as appropriate

   * Documentation Generation:
     Goal:
     - No defined goal at this point other than to increase # of
       documentation packages generated
     Background:
     - Scott Garman generates a list of packages that have  -docs
       packages, we should continue to monitor this list and where
       possible modify recipes to increase -doc package generation.
     What to do:
     - Review Doc list and as recipe updates or maintenance occurs verify
       the recipe will generate valid documentation
     Tracking:
     - # of -docs packages tracked weekly

Mutlilib checking, need to work with Dongxiao to define this further.

   * Patch Upstream-Status:
     Goal:
     - 100% of all patches (.patch, .diff, dpatch) have an upsteam status
     - We have 17 patches remaining and the maintainer is aware of that.

     What to do:
     - Continue to monitor any new patches for Upstream-Status
     Tracking:
     - check_patches script (see attached)

--
      Sau!