[yocto] core-image-sato-directdisk

autif khan autif.mlist at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 08:54:44 PST 2012

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 11:13 AM, Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/20/2012 09:16 AM, autif khan wrote:
>>
>> I have been using core-image-sato and core-image-sato-sdk on the hard
>> disk on Intel Atom (crownbay in my case).
>>
>> I perform the following broad steps:
>>
>> 1) have a suitable partition on the disk - say partition #3
>> 2) this partition will show up as sde3 on my host machine and sda3 on the
>> atom
>> 3) mkfs.ext3 /dev/sde3
>> 4) mount /dev/sde3 /mnt/target
>> 5) mount -o loop tmp/deploy/images/core-image-sato-sdk.ext3
>> /mnt/target-text3
>> 6) cp -a /mnt/target-ext3/* /mnt/target
>> 7) grub-install --recheck --root-directory=/mnt/target /dev/sde
>>
>> If grub install passed, I copy the following to
>> /mnt/target/boot/grub/grub.cfg
>>
>> set default="0"
>> set timeout="30"
>>
>> menuentry 'Yocto SDK' {
>>        insmod part_msdos
>>        insmod ext2
>>        set root='(hd0,msdos3)'
>>        linux /boot/bzImage root=/dev/sda3
>> }
>>

>> Thats it - this boots for me.
>>
>> Eventually, when I move to some other media, I will have to
>> investigate other bootloaders - like syslinux.
>>
>> All the best, do tell if this works.
>
> This worked fine for me. one typo in step (5) ext3 and not text3, but these
> are good instructions.  How do we get them put into the README.hardware
> instead of the directdisk section that doesn't work anymore.

Yup, I wrote then off the cuff, I am glad that a typo is the only
error and no major missing steps :-)

I am also glad that these steps worked for you.

> Did you file a bug on this?

I have not. I am not sure I should. I am not even sure whoose call it
should be weather or not this goes in README.hardware. I hope someone
chimes in