[yocto] Does Edison work with Beagleboard & linux-yocto-3.0 kernel?

Jack Mitchell ml at communistcode.co.uk
Wed Jan 11 07:24:21 PST 2012

On 11/01/12 15:20, Brian Hutchinson wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 9:57 AM, Bruce Ashfield
> <bruce.ashfield at windriver.com>  wrote:
>> It will. I sent patches recently to make that the preferred version
>> in the master branch. Cherry picking that change would probably
>> be all you would need.
>>

>>> 2.  Is the example for setting up for kernel modification in the
>>> development manual still valid for Edison?
>>
>> Should be.
>>
> Would I get that change if I just did a git pull or do I have to do
> something else?  I did a git pull to update my Edison checkout last
> night realizing that I hadn't done one in a while and then ran a new
> clean build and still ran into the same problem.  After triple
> checking my work I figured it was time to post.
>
> Regards,
>
> Brian

I can chime in here. I am currently trying to get my Beagleboard running
on the master branch, and it is pulling in kernel 3.0.12. However I
cannot get it to boot, I get as far as here:

*Texas Instruments X-Loader 1.5.0 (Jan 11 2012 - 14:06:12)
Beagle xM
Reading boot sector

U-Boot 2011.06 (Jan 11 2012 - 14:15:11)

OMAP3630/3730-GP ES2.1, CPU-OPP2, L3-165MHz, Max CPU Clock 1 Ghz
OMAP3 Beagle board + LPDDR/NAND
I2C:   ready
DRAM:  512 MiB
NAND:  0 MiB
MMC:   OMAP SD/MMC: 0
*** Warning - readenv() failed, using default environment

In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Beagle unknown 0x02
No EEPROM on expansion board
Die ID #0ed800229ff800000163810c15007017
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
SD/MMC found on device 0
reading uEnv.txt

** Unable to read "uEnv.txt" from mmc 0:1 **
reading uImage

3106580 bytes read
Booting from mmc ...
## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 82000000 ...
    Image Name:   Linux-3.0.12-yocto-standard+
    Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
    Data Size:    3106516 Bytes = 3 MiB
    Load Address: 80008000
    Entry Point:  80008000
    Verifying Checksum ... OK
OK

Starting kernel ...

Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.

*Where it hangs and won't go any further. I am watching it over serial
using a baud rate of 115200. It's a bit worrying that uBoot doesn't pick
up the Beagle revision... I'm sure it used to when I was doing testing a
few months ago.

Cheers,
Jack.